Special Educational Needs Support

Special educational needs (SEN) that affect a child’s ability to learn can include their:

  • Behaviour or ability to socialise, e.g. not being able to make friends
  • Reading and writing, e.g. they have dyslexia
  • Ability to understand things
  • Concentration levels, e.g. they have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
  • Physical needs or impairments

For details of Special Educational Needs support please contact Mary Rayner : mrayner@cmatrust.net.

Your child may be eligible for:

  • SEN support – support given in school, eg speech therapy
  • An education, health and care plan (EHCP) – a plan of care for children and young people aged up to 25 who have more complex needs

Full details for the provision for SEN support at Sawtry Village Academy can be found in our policy.

Accessibility arrangements and plans for students with needs – please read our Accessibility Plan



Sawtry Village Academy’s SEN Information Report


Children have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty that calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

Identifying pupils with SEND:

  • A pupil has SEND where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, namely provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age (SEND Code of Practice January 2015).
  • A pupil has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment which has long term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
  • Physical or mental impairment includes sensory impairments such as those affecting sight or hearing.At Sawtry Village Academy students are identified as having special educational needs through a variety of ways including the following:

How does Sawtry Village Academy know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

  • Liaison with primary school/previous school
  • Assessment of pupil’s current skills and levels of attainment in first term of entry
  • Child performing below age expected levels
  • Concerns raised by parent/carer
  • Concerns raised by teacher: for example confidence/self-esteem is affecting performance
  • Liaison with external agencies
  • Health diagnosis through paediatrician.We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents and working as a team. If you have a concern:

How will I raise concerns if I need to?

  • Contact the school’s representative for Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordination – Mary Rayner on 01487 830701; email: Mrayner@cmatrust.net

How will the school support my child and who will oversee, plan and work with my child and how often?

  • The subject teachers will make regular assessments of progress for all pupils. They will identify if a pupil is making less than expected progress given their age and individual circumstances,
  • The first response to such progress will be high quality teaching targeted at their areas of weakness.
  • Where progress continues to be less than expected, the subject teacher, working with the SENCo, will assess whether the pupil has SEN.
  • The SENCo and subject teacher will informally gather evidence (including the views of the pupil and parents) and put in place any extra teaching or other suitable intervention that will secure better progress.
  • Pupils with a Statement of Educational Need or an Educational Health Care Plan will be assigned a Learning Support Mentor. This member of staff will support the pupil in number of ways through regular meetings with the pupil; monitoring progress, absence and behavior; attending and providing information at review meetings and meetings with other professionals; checking progress; liaising with form tutor and subject teachers. Some students may have a Teaching Assistant in some of their lessons.
  • If a pupil is identified as needing extra teaching or an intervention then they may attend a small group or 1:1 session during the school day for a set period. When this interventions ends the pupil will be assessed and return to their main lessons.
  • The regularity of these sessions and how long it is in place will vary depending on each individual’s need, progress and school resources.

Who will explain this to me?

  • Parents will be sent a letter with details of any extra teaching or support that your child will receive and invited in to meet the SENCo and the Learning Support Mentor if they wish.
  • When a pupil comes to the end of an intervention another letter will be sent to parents with details of their child’s progress.
  • Pupils with a Statement of Educational Need or Educational Health Care Plan while meet annually to discuss support and progress.
  • For further information the SENCo is available to discuss support in more detail on 01480 830701

Who are the SEND team?

Teaching Assistant

Name Title Role
Mary Rayner CMAT Director SEN SEN & Inclusion
Julia Jones  Senior Leader  SEN Inclusion
 Jill Sewell  Teaching Assistant Co-ordinator  Running SEND literacy interventions and social skills groups, supporting individual pupils and testing. Providing support for teachers.
Janine Atkin Inclusion Support Education other than at school, support for bespoke curriculum.
Nicola Stevenson Teaching Assistant Supporting pupils with Statements and EHCPs.
Philippa Manning Teaching Assistant Supporting pupils with Statements and EHCPs.
Robert West Teaching Assistant Supporting pupils with Statements and EHCPs.
Nicola Stevenson Teaching Assistant Supporting pupils with Statements and EHCPs.
Sarah Nicholson  Teaching Assistant  Supporting pupils with Statements and EHCPs.
Esther Evans Teaching Assistant Supporting pupils with Statements and EHCPs.
Vicky Rickard Teaching Assistant Supporting pupils with Statements and EHCPs in Maths and ICT, sixth form


How are Governors involved and what are their responsibilities?

  • The SENCO reports to the Academy Coucil to inform them about the progress of students with special educational needs; this report does not refer to individual students and confidentiality is maintained at all times
  • Cora Davies is the Governor responsible for Special Educational Needs and meets regularly with the SENCO.  She also reports to the Academy Concil to keep all informed
  • The Governors agree priorities for Special Educational Needs spending with the overall aim that all students receive the support they need in order to make progress.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs, how does Sawtry Village Academy approach personalisation and how will that help my child?

  • All work subject areas are pitched at an appropriate level so that all students are able to access it according to their specific needs.  Typically this might mean that in a lesson there would be different levels of work set for the class/subject area, including individual personalisation
  • The benefit of this type of personalisation is that all students can access a lesson and learn at their own level and with regard to their learning style.

How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?  What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s progress?

  • You are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with the Special Educational Needs team to discuss your child’s progress.  We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home
  • We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, especially if your child has complex needs
  • If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs* or Educational Health Care Plan, a formal meeting will take place to discuss your child’s progress annually
  • You will also have the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress at Tutor evenings and parent’s evenings with your child’s teachers.


How does Sawtry Village Academy know how well my child is doing?

*Education, Health and Care Plans will replace Statements of Special Educational Needs over the next three years.

  • We measure students’ progress in learning against National expectations and age related expectations
  • Reading and Spelling tests are done in year 7 and repeated every 6 months to monitor progress of the children who score below their actual reading and spelling age.
  • The subject teacher continually assesses each student and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed.  A student’s progress is tracked regularly throughout their time at school, using a variety of different methods
  • Students who are not making expected progress are picked up through the rigorous termly monitoring. Appropriate interventions will be introduced to help students to reach their potential
  • Funding allocated per student will be tracked and the effectiveness of the additional provision assessed.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?  What is the pastoral, medical and social support available at Sawtry Village Academy?

  • We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity.  All staff believe that high self-esteem is crucial to well-being.  We have caring, understanding teams looking after our students and young people.  Sawtry Village Academy takes a strong stance against bullying
  • At Sawtry Village Academy, the Senior Tutors have overall responsibility for every student in their year, therefore this would be the parents’ first point of contact.  If further support is required, the class teacher liaises with the SENCO for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Health and Social Care.

How will my child be able to contribute their views?

  • If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or EHC plan, their views will be sought before any review meetings and over the course of the year in informal meetings
  • At Sawtry Village Academy we operate an academic mentoring system. Students with SEN also produce a pupil passport about their likes, dislikes, needs etc. This will inform teachers of any additional needs that child has. Passports will be reviewed annually or earlier if needed.

 What specialist services and expertise are available at, or accessed by, Sawtry Village Academy?

  • SENCOs in the local area meet regularly to share expertise
  • As a school, we work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual student’s needs within our school including:
  • Health – including GPs, school nurse, clinical psychologist, paediatricians, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, visually and hearing impaired support teams
  • Locality team
  • Social Care – including family support workers and social workers
  • Educational Psychologists.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

  • All students and young people are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all students to be included on school trips.  We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful
  • A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health and safety will not be compromised.  In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a student to take part in an activity, then alternative activities which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school and transferring to a new school?

  • We encourage all students to visit the school prior to starting when they will be shown around the school.  For students with special educational needs, we would encourage further visits to assist with the transition.  Staff from Sawtry also visit students in their current setting, where appropriate
  • We can write social stories with children if transition is potentially going to be difficult
  • At Sawtry, we run a summer programme in conjuction with the Locality team, specifically tailored to aid transition for the more vulnerable students
  • We liaise closely with staff when receiving and transferring students to/from different schools ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood
  • If your child has complex needs then a Statement (or Education, Health and Care Plan) review will be used as a transition meeting, during which staff from both schools will attend.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to student’s special educational needs?

  • We ensure that all students’ needs are met to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available
  • We have a team of support staff who are funded from the special educational needs budget and deliver programmes designed to meet groups of children’s needs
  • The budget is allocated on a needs basis which is reviewed yearly.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

  • Sawtry Village Academy recognises that quality first teaching enables every student to make the best progress
  • Support staff will always work under the close direction of a subject teacher.  Support staff recognise that students need to become independent learners and therefore they may be assigned to more than one student
  • The subject teacher, alongside the SENCO, will discuss the student’s needs and what support or teaching strategy would be appropriate
  • Different students will require different levels of support in order to bridge the gap to achieve age expected levels.

How do we know if it has had an impact?

  • We use the Assess, Plan, Do, Review approach to monitor impact
  • We measure impact by looking at progress in any of the following areas:
    • Communication and Interaction (speech and language)
    • Cognition and Learning (for example English and Mathematics)
    • Social, Mental and Emotional Health
    • Sensory and Physical.
  • Verbal feedback from the teacher, parent and student contributes to evidence of progress
  • Students may no longer be considered to have special educational needs when they have made sufficient progress in any of the above areas.

Who can I contact for further information?


Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join the school?

  • Places are allocated by the Local Authority.
  • Contact the school office for an appointment to meet the appropriate member of staff.
  • For contact details of Local Authority Children’s Services personnel, go to http://www.schools.cambridgeshire.gov.uk

To access Cambridgeshire’s “Local Offer” go to : www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/SEND